Recovery from substance abuse includes more than just becoming sober. It often means addressing a failure-to-launch situation. As a result, education becomes even more vital. New Life House knows that educational programming for addiction in Los Angeles proves important. In fact, our Education Track is one of the most effective tools we offer. It sets up our young men for long-term success.
Education and Life Skills in Recovery
Many families who find their way to New Life House struggle to help their son or loved one gain proper life skills. However, life skills are essential to becoming an independent young adult in recovery. As a matter of fact, when a person has difficulty taking on adult responsibilities or becoming self-sufficient, this condition is called “failure to launch.”
We’ve designed the New Life House Education + Life Skills Track to help the young men at our Sober Living in Los Angeles. It proves an essential part of our educational programming for addiction in Los Angeles. We find the best academic path possible based on their strengths, interests, and goals. Then, we teach them valuable life skills they need to launch their adult lives successfully.
The skills include money management, building relationships, self-care, maintaining a healthy living space, and more. In addition, after building their foundation, they become eligible to participate in the Education Track.
Importance of Life Skills for Maintaining Sobriety
Life skills can help young men stay sober as they work on their recovery journey. When young men don’t understand how to navigate relationships or take care of themselves, they could have a lower quality of life than their peers. As a matter of fact, poor life skills can lead to stress and low self-esteem.
The person may lack the ability to seek help when needed. As a result, young men might turn to drugs and alcohol to cope with these issues. If they are in recovery from addiction, it can result in them relapsing.
Someone’s son or loved one might struggle with failure to launch due to a lack of skills in areas like:
- Problem-solving and decision-making
- Money management
- Creating a healthy living environment
- Setting and attaining goals
- Building a daily routine
- Achieving self-confidence
- Developing healthy coping skills
- Communication and conflict resolution
- Interpersonal and relationship skills
- Setting healthy boundaries with others
- Self-care and stress management
- Forming a long-term career plan
The young men at New Life House benefit from being surrounded by other residents who put their recovery first. This environment differs from being surrounded on campus and in dorms by a party-focused lifestyle. As a result, they can learn to handle academic pressures during our educational programming for addiction in Los Angeles. Peer support helps them make their recovery and mental health a priority.
Options in Educational Programming
Part of our educational programming for addiction in Los Angeles involves giving people options. Sometimes a young person sees only one path to completing post-high school education. When it doesn’t feel like a good fit, they might give up on continued education. We understand finding the right fit means looking at multiple options for educational programming during sober living.
We support a diverse range of education choices. These include:
- Traditional college. This Includes starting or continuing community college, a 4-year university, or a post-graduate degree.
- Trade school. Popular fields include web design and IT, healthcare, HVAC, and more. Additionally, these schools typically assist participants in finding employment.
- Vocation Certification Programs. Many schools offer continuing education and non-credit classes that result in certification in a field.
Importance of Meeting Goals in Recovery
Sometimes one of our new residents expresses hesitancy in addressing educational and life skills in sober living. They may have tried college or vocational training in the past but their substance abuse or lack of life skills got in the way. They may have tried to attend classes, study, and do coursework while living under the haze of drugs or alcohol. As a consequence, this greatly reduced their ability to perform well.
Additionally, they may lack the ability to practice proper time management. They may suffer from an untreated mental health condition. Under those circumstances, many students end up failing classes or dropping out. Because of this, New Life House helps our young men learn the importance of setting and meeting goals.
Benefits of our educational programming for addiction in Los Angeles include:
- Gaining a new set of tools for a healthy lifestyle
- No longer abusing drugs and alcohol
- Living in a positive environment
- Being surrounded by a caring, supportive staff and peers
- Becoming physically and emotionally stable
- Creating a clear pathway to academic success
The supportive environment and improved life skills result in a completely different academic experience. By the time our young men graduate from our program, they benefit from more than just a stable recovery.
Educational Programming at Our Los Angeles Sober Living
Our treatment program recognizes the importance of family. First, we work with our young male residents to determine what educational goals best suit their needs and abilities. Next, we include the parents in treatment decisions and updates. The family unit works together to achieve educational and sobriety goals.
Our program consists of the following steps:
- Initial meeting: The young man meets with our Director of Education.
- Assessments: He participates in an interests and aptitude evaluation. These evaluations determine an appropriate academic pathway that suits the individual’s interests and capabilities.
- Determine a plan: Together, we decide on an exciting, sustainable, and enriching path forward. Consequently, the young man can get excited about where his life is headed.
- Start program: After finishing the academic intake process, our residents start participating in our Learning Center. Our academic staff guide and support them along their chosen pathway.
The New Life House Academic Program allows young men to continue moving forward in their lives without compromising their recovery. Our program provides the help needed to succeed during early addiction recovery. We provide a healthy and supportive environment throughout the process.
Meet Our Director of Education
Josh Johnson coordinates education and career development paths for individuals in the South Bay Houses. Upon becoming a New Life Alumni in 2020, he focused his newly acquired life skills toward completing a college degree in Audio Production with honors. He has a deep appreciation for what the program has done for his life and career. His goal at New Life is to foster excitement for life after treatment, and to help individuals achieve goals they previously thought were out of reach.
Outside of the recovery house, Josh is following his passion as a sound designer for film and video games.
Find Educational Programming for Addiction in Los Angeles, CA
Are you ready to put addiction behind you and get on with your life? If so, treatment isn’t just medical in nature. With this in mind, New Life House offers educational programming for addiction in Los Angeles. As a result, people understand the origin of their substance abuse. As well, they learn how to avoid relapse and enjoy life again. Then, they leave treatment ready to stay sober and healthy. If you would like more information, visit our admissions page now.
Be sure to also check out what our community has to offer.
Sober Living in Los Angeles
If you are looking for a healthy environment to help build upon your recovery from substance abuse that includes life skills and educational programming, contact us today. New Life House Recovery is not only a place for sober living but is a destination for building your life here in Los Angeles, California. Our team is ready to help you start living your best life today!