02 Jun Meal Planning: Crockpot Chicken Tacos
As we have discussed at length in previous posts, fueling your body with healthy, natural foods is so incredibly important. However a lot of us run into trouble when it comes to cooking and meal planning. When I was using I rarely cooked and never meal planned. I ate out a lot; lived off of cereal. After I got sober I had to learn how to cook stuff other than hardboiled eggs, and had to start meal planning. Meal planning keeps me on track-I always have my food with me and I know exactly what I am going to be eating. If I don’t meal plan, I can almost guarantee that I will end up eating crap. I know, I know. You’re thinking “well yeah, meal planning is a great idea but there is no time/I’m too busy” etc. Well thank goodness for easy, simple, healthy meals! These chicken “tacos” are so incredibly simple and good for you and the recipe makes enough to last a week! Take these for lunch at work or warm them up for dinner (or both!). Like the majority of my recipes, these tacos have lean protein, healthy fats (yay avocado), and plenty of veggies. Talk about guilt-free comfort food! Totally beginning cook friendly too.
- 5-6 frozen chicken breasts (I prefer frozen)
- 1 large jar (24 oz.) of salsa verde (if you prefer a tomato-based salsa is great as well)
- 2 tomatos
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 white onion
- Head of romaine lettuce
How to Do it:
- Place frozen chicken breasts in crockpot
- Pour jar of salsa over chicken
- Cover and cook on low for ten hours. At 9 hours shred chicken with a fork and stir. Allow it to cook for the last hour.
- Wash and rinse romaine
- Allow chicken to cool some before spooning it onto the romaine “taco shells”
- Slice avocados and place on shredded chicken
- Top with chopped tomato, onion, and cilantro
- Finish off with more of your favorite salsa and enjoy! P.S. These are messy. Keep napkins on hand 🙂
Sober since 2007, Maya is a mother, wife, and writer for the lifestyle blog ‘My Life As Maya‘. She is also a freelance writer and resident contributor for several other blogs in the fashion, fitness and parenting spheres.