While most people drink alcohol in moderation, others do not. The body can only process a certain amount of alcohol at a time, when too much alcohol is consumed it can lead the body to shut down. Alcohol poisoning can lead to coma, brain damage and death. It is important to know the signs and how to help someone with alcohol poisoning.
Alcohol poisoning occurs when there is so much alcohol in the individual’s bloodstream that the areas of the brain that control basic life-support functions begin to shutdown. The areas of functioning that can shut down are; breathing, heart rate and regulation of body temperature. The result can range in severity from vomiting, seizures, coma, brain damage and death. While most episodes of alcohol poisoning occur after binge drinking, this is not always the case. Alcohol poisoning can occur at different stages of drinking depending on the individual’s age, gender, ethnicity, alcohol tolerance, how quickly someone is drinking and how much food they have consumed. If you suspect someone may be experiencing alcohol poisoning, it is important that you know how to help someone with alcohol poisoning.
– slurred speech
– loss of coordination
– agitation or aggression
– noisy breathing
– dilated pupils
– clammy skin
– irregular or slow breathing
– blue tinged or pale skin
– low body temperature
– conscious but unresponsive
Alcohol poisoning can occur quickly and can lead to coma, brain damage and death. It is important to understand the severity of the symptoms and what NOT to do.
– Do not let them continue to drink. If they are displaying alcohol-poisoning symptoms, their BAC is already at a dangerously high level.
– Do not give them coffee. A symptom of alcohol poisoning is dehydration; coffee will only increase the dehydration.
– Do not try to help them vomit. Alcohol poisoning impairs proper bodily function; if the person tries to vomit they could choke.
– Do not put them in a cold shower. A symptom of alcohol poisoning is lowered body temperature; a cool shower could lead to hypothermia.
– Do not leave them to sleep it off. The BAC can continue to rise even when the person stops drinking. Letting the person sleep is dangerous and can lead to death.
Do not wait for symptoms to escalate. If you are concerned someone may be experiencing alcohol poisoning, it is imperative that you seek help immediately. Alcohol poisoning is extremely dangerous. It is better to seek medical attention at the first sign of symptoms. Alcohol poisoning can range in severity from acute to severe alcohol poisoning. Acute alcohol poisoning generally requires medical supervision until the symptoms resolve. Severe alcohol poisoning may require medical treatment; intravenous fluids, oxygen therapy, pumping of the stomach or intubation. It may be difficult to determine the stage of alcohol poisoning so it is suggested to call an ambulance so the individual can receive the proper treatment as quickly as possible.
Alcohol poisoning can happen with anyone that consumes too much alcohol. Underage drinkers and young adults often engage in binge drinking. This can lead to alcohol poisoning. While alcohol poisoning could be an isolated incident it may also be a sign of alcohol addiction. People suffering from alcohol addiction are often unable to stop drinking once they begin. This can lead to a wide range of health risks including alcohol poisoning. It is important to discuss the drinking tendencies of someone who has alcohol poisoning in order to possibly uncover alcohol addiction.
Alcohol poisoning can result in coma, brain damage and death. While alcohol poisoning may be an isolated incident, it could also be sign of a serious issue. Alcohol addiction can cause serious health risks and become a danger to the individual and those around them. If you are struggling with alcohol addiction or you are concerned about a loved one, it is imperative that you seek help immediately. If you or someone you know needs help from alcohol addiction, do not hesitate to contact us at (888)357-7577.