Electronic Dance Concert Sends 36 People to the ER

Dozens of teen concertgoers were hospitalized after an electronic dance music show at Boston’s TD Garden arena Wednesday, many suffering from a combination of heat and alcohol. Read the Yahoo News’ article below.

This article was originally submitted via Yahoo News This site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith.


Drugs, Heat and Alcohol Send Boston Concertgoers to the Hospital

By DOUG VOLLMAYER and DAN GOOD

June 26, 2014

Good Morning America

 

Dozens of teen concertgoers were hospitalized after an electronic dance music show at Boston’s TD Garden arena Wednesday, many suffering from a combination of heat and alcohol.

Thirty-six people were taken to area hospitals and another 50 were treated at scene, officials told ABC News. Officials at Tufts Medical Center said at least nine patients were brought there, while Massachusetts General Hospital treated 13 patients, hospital officials said. All of the injuries are nonlife-threatening.

Signs of illicit drugs, including the popular club drug “Molly” – a form of ecstasy – were apparent, with concertgoers strapped to stretchers, some still screaming and flailing their arms.

“There was a girl all alone, she was passed out for some time,” Chad Dyson, who attended the concert with friends, told ABC News. “She was limp. Shortly after that, she started vomiting. They had EMS come by and actually took her away in a chair, strapped her down and took her out of the venue.”

Dyson said the girl was passed out before the concert headliner, Swedish disc jockey Avicii, performed.

“I counted five separate ambulances and almost, they even had like a mobile command center set up as well, looked like a mobile command fire truck,” Dyson said.

Beyond the hospitalized concertgoers, dozens more were treated onsite, with police describing the situation as a mass casualty event because of the number of people involved.

The incident continues a concert trend of drug-related emergencies. Drugs and alcohol sent nearly 30 people to the hospital at another Avicii concert in Toronto last month.

Three concert deaths last year were allegedly tied to Molly overdoses, including two at the Electric Zoo Festival in New York City, and another at a ZED Concert at Boston’s House of Blues.

Hours after the show, Avicii – whose real name is Tim Bergling – posted his condolences to the victims online.

“Its [sic] a terrible thing, I rly [sic] hope everyone is ok! My thoughts go to those affected & their families,” he wrote on Twitter.

ABC News’ Elara Mosquera and ABC News Radio contributed to this report.

 

Original Aricle: http://gma.yahoo.com/drugs-heat-alcohol-send-boston-concertgoers-hospital-104838725–abc-news-topstories.html

Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. New Life House makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact [email protected]

1Comment
  • Tammy
    Posted at 16:06h, 24 July Reply

    I am in my mid 30s so I lived through the hype of Ecstasy becoming the trend drug. I can’t believe and it actually physically hurts to see a new generation taking a similar drug and to have such a delicate and friendly name attached as “Molly” is.
    More drug awareness needs to be made. I know you guys do your utmost best and you really do rock, so we could do with similar groups all over and mandatory drug awareness education.
    I don’t know why some parents are scared of teaching their kids drug awareness. nowledge is empowerment, not information to go and take the drug.

Post A Comment

Download Our Brochure To Get More Information About Who We Are And What We Do!

Thank You, please check your inbox for the brochure download.