10 Jul 10 Ways to “Fake” Pass a Drug Test
Drug tests, even when used randomly are an effective tool when used in conjunction with a structured drug rehab program. However, by themselves, drug tests are considered a “quick fix,” and can give a parent a false sense of security and hope. Most alcohol and substance abusers are already of the mindset that they will do whatever it takes to have life continue on the way it has been and most have no plans to stop doing what they are doing. They would smoke toothpaste on a cigarette if they thought it would change the way they felt, so it makes perfect sense that hundreds of parents are reporting kids fake passing their drug screenings.
Ways to Pass a Drug Test
A parent recently expressed concern that her son might be doing certain things in order to help him pass the urine drug tests that she, her husband and her son’s employer were randomly screening him for. I came up with a list of 10 ways he could possibly be cheating. Mind you – these remedies are not full proof for testing clean, however plenty of substance abusers are becoming very creative and doing whatever they think it will take to pass.
- Flushing – this is drinking tons of water before the drug test. Urinalysis checks for 31 different metabolites produced by marijuana, 4 by cocaine, 3 by opiates, 1 by Phencyclidine (hallucinogenic drugs such as angel dust), and 5 by amphetamines. Drinking a lot of water aids the body in producing metabolites that are not affected by drugs. This only works if he has enough advance notice of the impending drug test – or – if he just continues to drink tons of water on a daily basis with the assumption that he will be screened at any moment. Flushing can be detected on a drug test and be warned that overconsumption of water can cause “water intoxication” which can lead to death.
- A sudden interest in taking doses of B-2 or B-12. When urine is excessively clear, it’s a tip-off to drug testers and about 50 to 100 milligrams of these vitamins will add a yellowish tint to pee making it appear normal.
- Drinking more coffee, tea or cranberry juice than usual or stealing his sister’s Midol. Coffee and tea are diuretics and will clear his body of water and sodium, but they don’t work as well as Midol. Midol is extremely effective at purging the body of the revealing metabolites.
- Frequent urination and a particular pattern of peeing. If he pees a few times when he wakes up he is attempting to purge metabolites. Young people as a rule, do not pee all that frequently compared to adults. Also, if you hear him peeing into the toilet for a few seconds before he actually pees into the cup. Peeing in the cup towards the end of the stream is a trick as there are fewer metabolites to capture.
- Consuming more aspirin than usual. Taking 4 aspirin 4 to 6 hours before a drug test is the blend that people are talking about. It will not hurt him but most likely will leave him a little lightheaded.
- Taking Zinc Sulfate. Zinc is presumed to guide the metabolites to the fecal tract instead of the urinary tract. Taking 250 milligrams of zinc the night before a drug test, avoiding eating too many solids and then taking 250 milligrams more the morning of the drug test. This method can be very dangerous as over-consumption of zinc can lead to harmful mineral deficiencies.
- Taking Niacin. Some people are using niacin or vitamin B-3 but it has not been shown to mask drugs in the system and has potential harmful side effects.
- Goldenseal Root. This is an herb found in health food and vitamin stores. Many people are taking it but there is no proof that it works.
- Substituting the sample with natural urine. This is the sure fire way to pass a drug test when he is absolutely sure his “friend” doesn’t use (he can test it with a reagent panel strip so if you find those in his bedroom….). The problem with this avenue is that it can only be refrigerated no more than 48 hours, and he has to bring a potentially bulky object in the bathroom with him. Although with the new “collapsible water bottles” purchased form any camping store, it’s much easier to hide urine than it used to be.
- Substituting the sample with synthetic urine. Liquid premixed urine has no smell so it’s a dead giveaway, plus there are no surface bubbles. Powdered synthetic urine has these attributes but he sure better hope all the powder dissolves before handing it back.
Any way you look at it, I requires a lot of energy to “fake pass” a drug test. If someone is going to that much trouble, they have no intention of getting sober. I don’t think anyone would be surprised at this though. Addicts and alcoholics will go to any lengths to keep doing what they’re doing…the good news is that when they finally hit bottom and surrender…most will go to any lengths to stay sober too.
Drug tests work best when a young adult can be a part of a 12-step recovery community of peers who are all working towards the same goal. The combination is a recipe for victory over substance abuse. Exploring the reasons behind why he drinks and drugs, getting honest with himself and others and learning how to put solutions into place for dealing with the everyday challenges of life lead him towards lasting recovery. A peer-focused environment is a powerful motivator for youth, much more so than a drug test in a box.